Dr. Joel Fransen
During the first six years of his professional career Dr. Fransen was the primary general dentist in a practice in Port Alberni, British Columbia. He was then an associate dentist in Kelowna, B.C. for a year prior to pursuing advanced specialty training in endodontics at the Baylor School of Dentistry in Dallas, Texas. At the 2006 American Association of Endodontists (AAE) Annual Session in Honolulu, Hawaii Dr. Fransen presented original research regarding root canal obturation material. Later that same year, he made presentations about advances in endodontics to general dentists in both Philadelphia, Pennsylvania and Columbus, Ohio. In 2008, Dr. Fransen presented information about advances in endodontics to general dentists in Seattle, Washington. Over the years, he has also made a number of presentations to general dentists and certified dental assistants in British Columbia.
Since his return to the lower mainland in 2007 Dr. Fransen has been an associate endodontist at the Port Coquitlam office of the EndoGroup. In that same year, he also became a part-time faculty member of the Graduate Endodontic Department at the University of British Columbia.
In 2011, Dr. Fransen became the first recognised endodontist in the Yukon Territory. He travels there every other month to provide advanced endodontic care to residents of the territory and northern British Columbia. As of February 2012, Dr. Fransen travels to Fort Saint John in Northeast British Columbia to provide specialty endodontic care to the residents of the Peace River Regional District and Northwest Alberta.
Dr. Fransen practices the full scope of modern endodontics including differential diagnosis, revascularisation and vital pulp therapy, non-surgical treatment and re-treatment, and endodontic microsurgery. He is one of only a handful of endodontists in North America that has pursued advanced training in implant dentistry. He currently participates in two implant study clubs.
The Alberta-born Dr. Fransen grew-up in the lower mainland and is excited to be back home after many yeas away. Both Dr. Fransen and his wife, Dr. Alison Fransen, enjoy spending time with their three children Clive, Chloë and Jack. As a previous ski racer, instructor and coach, Dr. Fransen enjoys the opportunity to ski with his family on the local mountains. He is an avid fan of the Vancouver Whitecaps, Liverpool FC, and of course the various teams his three children play for in the Richmond Soccer League.
- Canadian Academy of Endodontics (www.caendo.ca)
- British Columbia Association of Endodontists
- British Endodontic Society (www.britishendodonticsociety.co.uk)
- American Association of Endodontists (www.aae.org)
- British Columbia Dental Association (www.bcdental.org)
- Canadian Dental Association (www.cda-adc.ca)
- Canadian Dental Implant Training Centre Inc. (www.implantconnection.ca)
- Dr. Don Anderson Implant Study Club (www.vancouverimplantdentist.com)
- American Academy of Implant Dentistry (www.aaid-implant.org)
- North Fraser Seminars for Dental Excellence (www.seattlestudycliub.com)
Fransen JN, He J, Glickman GN, Rios A, Shulman JD, Honeyman A. Comparative assessment of ActiV GP/Glass ionomer sealer, Resilon/Epiphany, and gutta-percha/AH Plus obturation: a bacterial leakage study. J Endo 2008;34:725-7
Journal of Endodontics
- President of the Endodontic Society of British Columbia, 2009 - 2012
- Vice-President of the Dental Specialists Society of British Columbia 2012 – 2013
- Secretary – Treasurer of the Dental Specialists Society of British Columbia 2011 - 2012
- Part-time clinical instructor in the Graduate Endodontic Programme at UBC, 2010 to present
- Member of the editorial board of ‘the bridge’ published by the British Columbia Dental Association, 2010 to present